Carbohydrates tend to have a bad reputation among “healthy eaters,” but they are an essential part of a balanced diet. One of the healthiest foods you can possibly eat, and a hugely underrated Superfood, is the humble Sweet Potato. This is why this miracle tuber should be a staple one everyone’s grocery list.
- Promotes a Strong Immune System
- Sweet potatoes are full of Vitamin C, B6 (for fighting diseases), Iron (helps produce red and white blood cells) and of course the Carotenoids (indicative of the bright orange colour), which are converted to Vitamin A in the body – good for your eyes, and a powerful Antioxidant.
- Helps Build Strong Teeth and Bones
- Sweet potatoes are full of essential Vitamins and minerals that help build strong teeth and bones including Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Magnesium.
- Good for Your Skin
- Vitamin C helps produce collagen, which is essential for skin elasticity. Our skin naturally loses its elasticity with age, so a Vitamin C rich diet, plus a healthy skin care routine, can help maintain a youthful appearance.
Gives you Energy and Helps Manage your Weight
- The sugars are released slowly, giving you prolonged energy.
- This means they will not spike your blood glucose levels that typically lead to “sugar crashes” shortly after consumption, and will not spike your insulin production.
- Foods that provide slow-released energy and do not spike insulin production are helpful for weight management.
- Helps you Stay Calm
- Magnesium is a key mineral that helps you de-stress, as well as assists in other bodily functions like nerve function.
- Replenish your Electrolytes
- You do not need to drink a sweet potato smoothie to benefit from electrolytes – enjoying sweet potato on your plate delivers Potassium – an electrolyte that regulates heartbeat and nerve function.
- Other foods rich in Potassium are bananas and coconut water.
We love recipes that celebrate the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes. Try our Paleo Candy for a delicious side dish (or main!)